Type of Article : Orginal
Year: 2014 | Volume 2 | Issue 4 | Page No. 705-708
Date of Publication: 30-11-2014
STUDY ON VARIATIONS OF ANTERIOR INFERIOR SEGMENTAL BRANCH OF RENAL ARTERY
Chandragirish S 1, Nanjaiah C.M 2, Suhas Y Shirur 3, Shaik Hussain Saheb * 4.
1 Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Travancore Medical College, Kollam, Kerala, India.
2 Professor of Anatomy, JSS Medical College, Mysore, Karnataka, India.
3 Assistant Professor of Physiology, Travancore Medical College, Kollam, Kerala, India.
*4 Assistant Professor of Anatomy, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka, India.
Address: Shaik Hussain Saheb, Assistant Professor of Anatomy, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka, India. Mobile +91-9242056660. E-Mail: email@example.com
Background: The kidneys are paired solid organs that lie in the retro peritoneum along the borders of psoas muscle. Each kidney is positioned obliquely and awareness of the relationship of the kidneys to the surrounding organs is paramount. Each kidney is supplied by a renal artery, which is a branch of the abdominal aorta, the branching pattern of renal artery shows very much variations , the knowledge of individual segmental artery variation are very helpful for clinical practices of renal surgeries.
Materials and Methods: Fifty pairs of kidneys with intact abdominal aorta and renal artery were collected from the dead bodies obtained from the mortuary of Forensic department, JSS Medical College and Mysore Medical College and studied in JSS Medical College. For study of segmental variation Corrosion cast technique method was used.
Results: In present study type I anterior inferior segmental artery were found in 47%, type II in 16%, type III in 24%, type IV 10%, type V in 0% o and type VI 1% of cases.
Conclusion: The variation of the anterior inferior segmental artery has not been given importance in previous works and they have been typed (6 types) in the present work. The knowledge of anterior inferior segmental artery variations are helpful in renal surgeries in particular with anterior inferior segmental artery distribution area.
KEY WORDS: Renal Surgery, Renal transplantation, Anterior inferior segmental artery, Kidney.
- Eustachius B. The aberrant renal arteries. J of Anat 1552; 90: 553-558.
- Lancisi. An unusual anomalous blood vessel connecting the renal and internal spermatic arteries. Anat. Rec 1714; 102: 205-10.
- Graves F.T. The anatomy of intrarenal arteries and its application to segmental resection of the kidneys. B.J.S. 1954; XLII: 605-616.
- Hunter J. Vasculature of the body. Br J Surg 1794; 38: 1-8.
- Benjamin, Abeshouse S, Lerman S, Partial nephrectomy versus pylolithotomy and Nephrolithotomy in the treatment of localized calculus disease of the kidney with a report of 17 partial nephrectomies. J. of S.G.O. 1950; 91: 209-240.
- Sykes D. The arterial supply of the human kidney with special reference of accessory renal arteries. B.J.S. 1963; 50: 368.
- Horacek M.J, Earle A M and Gilmore J P. The renal vascular system of the monkey:a gross anatomical description.J. Anat. 1987; 153: 123-137.
- García J G, Domínguez M Gand & Ferroll N L M. The arterial pattern and fractal dimension of the dog kidney. Histol Histopath.1992; 7: 563-574.
- Sampaio F J B, Schiavini J L, Favorito L A, Proportional analysis of the kidney arterial segments. Urol Res. 1993; 21: 371-374.
- Fine H and Keen. The arteries of human kidney. J. of Anat 1966; 90: 553-558.
- Verma M, Chaturvedin RP, Pathak RK. Anatomy of the renal vascular segments. J Anat Soc. 1961;10:12–14.
Chandragirish S, Nanjaiah C.M, Suhas Y Shirur, Shaik Hussain Saheb. STUDY ON VARIATIONS OF ANTERIOR INFERIOR SEGMENTAL BRANCH OF RENAL ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2014;2(4):705-708. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2014.531