Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 915-916
Date of Publication: 31-03-2015
UNILATERAL HIGH DIVISION OF SCIATIC NERVE AND ITS RELATION TO BIFID PIRIFORMIS
Rashmi C. Goshi.
Junior Resident, Department of Anatomy, Gadag Institute Of Medical Sciences, Gadag, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Rashmi C. Goshi, C\O P C Goshi; Ashirwad building; Kangoori Galli; Betgeri- Gadag 582102, Karnataka, India.
Background: The sciatic Nerve can rarely be separated into tibial and common fibular Nerve within the Pelvis. In such cases the tibial nerve and common fibular nerve leave the pelvis through different routes.
Materials and Method: The variation found during routine dissection for MBBS students in a 30 yr old male cadaver in the department of Anatomy, JJM Medical college Davangere, Karnataka, India.
Result: The variation is High division of sciatic Nerve unilaterally on right side in 30yrs old male cadaver. Common peroneal Nerve is found passing between the two divisions of bifid piriformis while tibial Nerve passed below the inferior piriformis
Conclusion: Knowledge of this variation is important clinically in sciatic nerve entrapment resulting in non-discogenic sciatica and also requires reviewing of the piriformis syndrome
KEY WORDS: Tibial Nerve, Common Peroneal Nerve, Sciatica, Periformis syndrome.
- YS khan K, Tk khan, Al-Joul University, Sakaka, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. A rare case of bilateral high division of SN with unilateral divided piriformis and unusual high origin of genicular branch of CPN. Int j Anat varia 2011;4;63-68.
- Guvencer, Lyem, Akyer, Naderi, Variations in the high division of the SN and relationship between the SN and the piriformis. Turkish Neurosurgery 2009;19(2);139-144.
- J. Paval, S. Nayak, A case of bilateral high division of SN with a variant inferior gluteal nerve. Neuroanatomy 2008;5;33-34.
- Zeliha Kurtoglu, M. Haluk Uluutku. A combined variation in the gluteal region. J med Sci 1999;29;579-581.
- Beaton LE, and Anson BJ. The relation of the SN and its subdivisions to the piriformis muscle. Anat Rec1938;70;1-5.
Rashmi C. Goshi. UNILATERAL HIGH DIVISION OF SCIATIC NERVE AND ITS RELATION TO BIFID PIRIFORMIS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(1):915-916. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.113