Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1099-1102
Date of Publication: 30-06-2015
A STUDY OF CORONARY DOMINANCE IN POPULATION OF JALGAON REGION OF NORTH MAHARASHTRA BY ANGIOGRAPHIC METHOD
Dakhane Prafulla S *1, Pakhale Sandeep V 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, 2 Associate Professor.
Department of Anatomy, Dr. Ulhas Patil Medical College, Jalgaon Kh., India.
Address: Dr. Prafulla S. Dakhane, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Dr. Ulhas Patil Medical College, Jalgaon Kh. India. Phone No.: +919421794457, +919595359307.
Introduction: The incidence of coronary artery disease is increasing now a day’s all over the world. Dominance pattern of the heart has got important clinical significance in different pathologies. So the present work is undertaken to study the dominance of coronary arteries in population of Jalgaon region of North Maharashtra, India.
Aim and objectives: Aim of the present study was to determine dominance pattern of coronary arteries in Jalgaon region and to compare it with other studies.
Material and Method: The subjects (n=1000) attending cardiology outpatient department (OPD) at Dr. Ulhas Patil Medical College and Hospital, Jalgaon Kh. formed the study group for this study. Invasive coronary angiography was performed by either femoral or radial route using radio-opaque dye and cineangiograms were taken in different views. Using Schlesinger’s criteria, the coronary dominance was determined
Results: In 82.4% of the subjects, right dominance was noted. In 13.3% of the subjects, left dominance was noted. Balanced dominance was noted in 4.3% of the subjects studied.
Conclusion: Balanced dominance is significantly less in Jalgaon region of northern Maharashtra when compared with results of most other studies. Similarly right dominance is significantly more in this area when compared with results of most other studies. So it can be concluded that every region carries its own proportions of dominance and detailed studies should be conducted for betterment of human being in each region.
KEY WORDS: Coronary dominance, Right dominance, Left dominance, balanced dominance, Angiographic method and Schlesinger’s criteria.
- Taylor AJ, Byers JP, Cheitlin MD and Virmani R. Anomalous right or left coronary artery from the contralateral coronary sinus:”high risk” abnormalities in the initial coronary artery course and heterogenous clinical outcome. Am. Heart J.1997;133:428-35.
- Goldberg A, Southern D, Galbraith PD, Traboulsi M, Knudtson ML, Ghali WA. Coronary dominance and prognosis of patients with acute coronary syndrome. Am. Heart J. 2007 Dec;154(6):1116-1122.
- Amin K, Javed M, Mehmood A, Zakria M. Acute inferior wall myocardial infarction :frequency of AV blocks. The Professional. 2004 Jan, Feb, March;11(1):31-37.
- Schlesinger MJ. Relation of the anatomic pattern to pathologic conditions of the coronary arteries. Arch. Pathol. 1938;30:443.
- Baroldi G & Scomazzoni G. Coronary circulation in the normal and the pathologic heart. Office of The Surgeon General. Washington D. C., Department of The Army, 1967.
- James, TN. Anatomy of the coronary arteries. New York, Paul B. Hoeber, 1961.
- Ilia R. Rosenshtein G, Weinstein J, Cafri C, Abu-Ful A. & Gueron M. Left anterior descending artery length in left and right coronary artery dominance. Coron. Artery Dis., 2001;12(1):77-8.
- Vieira TH, Moura PC Jr. Vieira SR, Moura PR, Silva NC, Wafae GC, Ruiz CR & Wafae N. Anatomical indicators of dominance between the coronary arteries in swine. Morphologie. 2008;92(296):3-6.
- Kaimkhani ZA, Ali MM, Azhar FMA. Pattern of coronary arterial distribution and its relation to coronary arterial diameter. J Ayub Med Coll Abbotabad. 2005;17:40-43.
- Goldberg A, Southern DA. Galbraith D, Traboulsi M, Knudtson ML, Ghali WA. Coronary dominance and prognosis of patients with acute coronary syndrome. Am Heart J 2007;154:1116-22.
- Abdellah AAA, Elsayed ASA, Hassan MA. Angiographic coronary artery anatomy in sudan heart centre. Khartoum Med J. 2009;02(01);162-164.
- Mian FA, Malik SN, Ismail M, Khan IS, Kachlu AR, Rehman M Hussain J, Ahmad I. Coronary Artery Dominance: What pattern exists in Pakistani Population? Ann. Pak. Inst. Med. Sci. 2011;7(1):3-5.
- Knaapen M, Koch AH, Koch C, Koch KT, Li X, van Rooij PC, Tijssen JG, Peters RJ, van der Wal AC, Damman P, de Winter RJ. Prevalence of left and balanced coronary arterial dominance decreases with increasing age of patients at autopsy. A postmortem coronary angiograms study. Cardiovasc Pathol. Jan-Feb 2013;22(1):49-53.
- Kannan U, Jeyapriya A, Amritha GB, Anbalagan J, Rao S. correlative study of coronary dominance in human cadaveric hearts, foetal hearts and cine angiograms. National Journal of Clinical Anatomy 2014;03(01):17-23.
Dakhane Prafulla S, Pakhale Sandeep V. A STUDY OF CORONARY DOMINANCE IN POPULATION OF JALGAON REGION OF NORTH MAHARASHTRA BY ANGIOGRAPHIC METHOD. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):1099-1102. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.160