Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1278-1280
Date of Publication: 31-08-2015
HIGH DIVISION OF SCIATIC NERVE WITH AN ASSOCIATED VARIATION IN THE ORIGIN OF SUPERIOR AND INFERIOR GLUTEAL NERVES: A CASE REPORT
Aparna . G.
Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, NRI Academy of Medial Sciences, Chinakakani, Guntur(dt), Andhra Pradesh, India.
Address: Dr. Aparna. G, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, NRI Academy of Medial Sciences, Chinakakani, Guntur(dt), Andhra Pradesh, India.
High division of sciatic nerve into two components with an associated variation in the origin of superior and inferior gluteal nerves was observed in 70 yrs old male cadaver on right side. The components of sciatic nerve rejoined in the middle 2/3rd of thigh, and they redivided at the superior angle of popliteal fossa. It is a rare variation. Such variation is important for surgeons and nurses too.
KEY WORDS: Sciatic nerve (SN), Superior and Inferior Gluteal nerves (SGN and IGN), Common Peroneal nerve (CPN).
- Williams PL, Bannister LH, Berry MM, Collins P, Dyson M, Dussek JE, Ferguson MWJ. Gray;s Anatomy. 38th edn. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh. 1995;p1284.
- Vanitha, Antony Sylvan D’Souza, Vanishri Nayak. Variations in the innervations to the gluteus maximus muscle; a case report. Int J Med Res Health Sci. 2014;3(3): 721-722. DOI:10.5958/2319-5886.2014.00424.X
- Babinski MA , Machado FA , Costa WS . A rare variation in the high division of the sciatic nerve surrounding the superior gemellus muscle. Eur J Morphol. 2003;41:41-2.
- Demiryurek D, Bayramoglu A, Erbol M, Aldur MM, Mustafa ES. Bilateral divided pirifomis muscle together with the high division of the sciatic nerve. Gazi Medj. 2002;13:41-4.
- Bardeen CR, Elting AW. A statistical study of the variations in the formation and position of the lumboscaral plexus in man. Anat Anz.1901;19:209-39.
- Pokorny D, Jahoda D, Veigl D, Painskerova V, Sosna A. Topographic variations of the relationship of the sciatic nerve and the piriformis muscle and its relevance to palsy after total hip arthroplasty. Surg Radiol Anat.2006;28:88-91.
- Ogeng ‘O JA, Busaidy H El, Mwika PM, Khanbhai MM. Variant anatomy of sciatic nerve in a black Kenyan population. Folia Morphol. 2011;70(3):175-79.
- Kotian SR, D'Souza AS, Shamshudheen S, Sangeetha C, Sumalatha S. Multiple Anomalous Variations in the Gluteal Region. Online J Health Allied Scs.2014;13(3):5. Available at URL: http://www.ojhas.org/issue51/2014-3-5.html
- Suhani Sumalatha, An unorthodox innervations of the gluteus maximus muscle and other associated variations. Australas Med J.2014;7(10):419-422.
- Yan, Jun, Masaki Takechi, and Jiro Hitomi. Variations in the course of the Inferior gluteal nerve and artery: a case report and literature review. Surgical Science 2013;4(10):429.
Aparna . G. Hattangdi. HIGH DIVISION OF SCIATIC NERVE WITH AN ASSOCIATED VARIATION IN THE ORIGIN OF SUPERIOR AND INFERIOR GLUTEAL NERVES: A CASE REPORT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1278-1280. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.209