Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1281-1284
Date of Publication: 31-08-2015
FUSION BETWEEN BODY AND GREATER CORNU: A RADIOLOGICAL STUDY OF DRY HYOID BONES
Bhavna *1, Rajan Kumar Singla 2, Ravi Kant Sharma 3.
*1 Senior Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, National Dental College, Derabassi, Punjab, India.
2 Additional Professor, Department of Anatomy, Govt. Medical College, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
3 Professor & Head, Department of Anatomy, Govt. Medical College, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
Address: Dr. Bhavna, Senior Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, National Dental College, Derabassi, Punjab, India.
Introduction: The study of fusion of body and greater cornua of hyoid bone is of tremendous clinical and forensic significance as it can be used to estimate the age of living or dead or skeletonized remains. It becomes all the more important as this fusion is relatively immune to some individual factors like life style, health and nutrition etc.
Material method: The study comprised of 15 male and 15 female bones all collected from human cadavers with age >60 years. Digitalized radiographs of these bones were taken and fusion between body and greater cornua was studied.
Results: A bilateral fusion was seen in 43.3% bones with another 33% showing unilateral fusion .The bilateral fusion did not depict any sex difference but unilateral fusion was more common on left side in males and right side in females.
Conclusion: Fusion of body and greater cornua of hyoid bone after age of 60 years is not always seen so one should be cautious in interpreting fracture of this bone in persons with age >60years and look for other local pathological features like haematoma formation at the site of fracture.
KEY WORDS: Hyoid bone, Greater cornua, Fusion.
- Papadopoulos N, Anastopoulou GL, Alvanidou EL. The shape and size of the human hyoid bone and a proposal for an alternative classification. J Anat 1989; 163:249-60.
- Field EJ, Harrison RJ. Anatomical Terms – Their origin & derivatives. 2nd ed. Cambridge: W. Heller & Sons Ltd; 1957. p. 81
- Pollanen MS and Ubelaker DH. Forensic significance of the polymorphism of hyoid bone shape. J Forensic Sci 1997; 42(5):890-2.
- Leksan I, Marcikic M, Nikolic V, Radic R, Selthofer R. Morphological classification and sexual dimorphism of hyoid bone: New Approach. Coll Antropol 2005; 29:237-42.
- D’Souza DH, Harish SS, Kiran J. Fusion in the hyoid bone: usefulness and implications. Med Sci Law 2010; 50:197–9.
- Gupta A, Kohli A, Aggarwal NK, Banerjee KK. Study of age of fusion of hyoid bone. Leg med 2008; 10(5):253-6.
- Balseven-Odabasi A, Yalcinozan E, Keten A, Akcan R, Tumer AR, Onan A et al. Age and sex estimation by metric measurements and fusion of hyoid bone in a Turkish population. J Forensic Leg Med 2013 Jul; 20(5):496-501.
- Harjeet K,Synghal S, Kaur G,Aggarwal A,Wahee P. Time of fusion of greater cornu with body of hyoid bone in northwest Indians. Leg Med 2010 sep;12(5):223-7.
- Namio P, O’Donnell C, Bassed R, Briggs C. The use of computed tomography in determining development, anomalies, and trauma of the hyoid bone. Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2015 Jun;11(2):177-85.
- O’Halloran RL, Lundy JK. Age and ossification of the hyoid bone: Forensic implications. J Forensic Sci 1987; 32(6):1655–9.
- Shimizu Y, Kanetaka H, Kim YH, Okayama K, Kano M, Kikuchi M. Age- related morphological changes in the human hyoid bone. Cells tissue organs 2005; 180:185-92.
- Miller KWP, Walker PL, O’Halloran RL. Age and sex-related variation in hyoid bone morphology. J Forensic Sci 1998; 43(6):1138-43
- Adelson L. The pathology of homicide. Charles C Thomas, Springfield, IL 1974 cited in O’Halloran RL, Lundy JK. Age and ossification of the hyoid bone: Forensic implications. J Forensic Sci 1987;32(6):1655–9.
- Ubelaker DH. Hyoid fracture and strangulation. J Forensic Sci 1992; 37(5):1216-22.
- Gordon I, Shapiro HA, Taljaard JJF, Engelbrecht HE. Aspects of the hyoid-larynx complex in forensic pathology. J Forensic Sci 1976; 7:161-70 cited in Ubelaker DH. Hyoid fracture and strangulation. J Forensic Sci 1992; 37(5):1216-22.
- SzeremetaW, Morovati SS. Isolated hyoid bone fracture: A case report and review of the literature. J Trauma 1991; 31:268-71.
- Rodriguez-Vazquez JF, Merida-Velasco JR, Verdugo-Lopez S, Sanchez-Montesinos I, Merida-Velasco JA. Morphogenesis of the second pharyngeal arch cartilage (Reichert’s cartilage) in human embryos. J Anat 2008; 208:179-89.
- Gad El. Hak SA, El Dakroory SA, El Hawary AA, Alghazally AM. Sexual dimorphism of hyoid bone-A Preliminary Study. J Forensic Sci 2007; 15(1):17-23.
- Biswas A, Mazumdar S, Sardar T. Fusion of hyoid bone: a preliminary study in Indian Bengali. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2013 jan;35(1):14-6.
Bhavna, Rajan Kumar Singla, Ravi Kant Sharma. FUSION BETWEEN BODY AND GREATER CORNU: A RADIOLOGICAL STUDY OF DRY HYOID BONES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1281-1284. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.211