Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1419-1424
Date of Publication: 30-09-2015
AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF GLENOID CAVITY: ITS IMPORTANCE IN SHOULDER PROSTHESIS
Neeta Chhabra *1, Suraj Prakash 2, B K Mishra 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Army College of Medical Sciences, Delhi Cantt. India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Army College of Medical Sciences, Delhi Cantt. India.
3 Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, Army College of Medical Sciences, Delhi Cantt. India.
Address: Dr. Neeta Chhabra, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Army College of Medical Sciences, Delhi Cantt. India.
Introduction: Glenoid cavity of scapula has variable morphology and therefore its anatomy is of enormous importance for orthopaedic surgeon and prosthetic designers. Presence of notch in the antero-superior part of glenoid rim affects the morphology of glenoid labrum. Anatomical variations of glenoid cavity are also important for understanding the various pathologies involving the shoulder joint. Present study aims to determine various anthropometric measurements of scapula and glenoid cavity including the variations of its shape.
Materials and Methods: A total of 126 adult dry scapulae available in the Dept. of Anatomy, ACMS Delhi Cantt., India, and also procured from medical colleges in the vicinity were taken for the study.
Results: The mean length and breadth of scapula observed were 141.94±12.76mm 103.65±6.82mm respectively. The mean length of the glenoid observed in the present study was 38.78±3.03mm. The mean AP glenoid diameter 1 and 2 were 24.93±2.55mm and18.66±2.13mm respectively. The mean Glenoid cavity Index (GCI) found in the present study was 64.29 ± 9.79.
Conclusion: The dimensions of the glenoid observed in the present study were similar to those recorded in the studies done on other populations except for the shape. Higher percentage of glenoid cavities without a definitive notch was recorded in the present study compared to earlier studies. This fact may be taken into consideration while designing glenoid prostheses for the North Indian population.
KEY WORDS: Scapula, scapular length, scapular breadth, glenoid cavity, Glenoid cavity index.
- Moore KL, Dalley AF, Agur AM (2010) Clinical oriented anatomy. 6th Ed. Lippincott Wiliams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
- Standring S, ed. Gray’s Anatomy. 40th Ed., New York, Churchill Livingstone. 2008; 794-821.
- Breathnach AS. Frazer’s Anatomy of the human skeleton, 6th ed. London: J and A Churchill ltd, 1965. pp. 63-70.
- Sinnatamby CS. Last’s Anatomy, Regional and Applied.11th ed. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2006. p. 50-52.
- Prescher A, Klumpen T. The glenoid notch and its relation to the shape of the glenoid cavity of the scapula. J Anat. 1997;190:457-460.
- Rajput HB, Vyas KK, Shroff BD. A study of morphological patterns of the glenoid cavity of scapula. National J of Medical Research 2012;2(4): 504-7.
- Singhal et al. A study of measurements and indices of human scapula at Jamnagar Medical College. Int J Res Med 2013;2(1):65-8.
- Krishnaiah M, Nagaraj S, Praveen Kumar M, Sherke AR. Study of scapular measurements and scapular indices of Andhra Pradesh region. Journal of dental and medical sciences.2014;13(16):117-120.
- Flower WH, Garson JG. The scapular index as a race character in man. Journal of anatphysiol1879;14(1):13-17.
- Mamatha T, Pai S R, Murlimanju BV, Kalthur SG, Pai MM, Kumar B. Morphometry of glenoid cavity. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2011;10(3):7.
- Kavita P, Jaskaran S, Geeta. Morphology of coracoids process and glenoid cavity in adult human scapulae. IJAPBS 2013;2(2):19-22
- Churchill RS, Brems JJ, Kotschi H. Glenoid size, inclination, and version: An anatomic study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2001;10:327-32.
- Frutos LR. Determination of sex from the clavicle and scapula in a Guatemalan contemporary rural indigenous population. Am J Forensic Med and Pathol 2002; 23:284-8.
- Özer I, Katayama K, Sagir M, Gulec E. Sex determination using the scapula in medieval skeletons from East Anatolia. Coll Antropol 2006;30:415-419.
- Iannotti JP, Gabriel JP, Schneck SL, Evans BG, Misra S. The normal glenohumeral relationships. An anatomical study of one hundred and forty shoulders. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1992;74:491-500.
- Dhindsa GS, Singh Z. A study of morphology of glenoid cavity. Jr of Evolution of Medical and Dental sciences 2014;3:7036-43.
- Polguj M, Jędrzejewski KS, Podgórski M, Topol M: Correlation between morphometry of the suprascapular notch and anthropometric measurements of the scapula. Folia Morphol 2011;70:109-115.
Neeta Chhabra, Suraj Prakash, B K Mishra. AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF GLENOID CAVITY: ITS IMPORTANCE IN SHOULDER PROSTHESIS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1419-1424. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.252