Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1379-1388
Date of Publication: 21-02-2016
RIGID TAPE VERSUS KINESIO TAPE ON SCAPULAR ROTATION AND FORWARD HEAD ANGLE IN SUBACROMIAL IMPINGEMENT SYNDROME
Eman A. Embaby * 1, Eman M.A. Abdalgwad 2.
*1 Lecturer at the department of Basic Science, Faculty of Physical Therapy, Cairo University.
2 Researcher (M.Sc candidate ) at the department of Physical Therapy for Musculoskeletal Disorders and its Surgery, Faculty of Physical Therapy, Cairo University.
Corresponding author: Dr. Eman Ahmed Embaby, Lecturer at the department of Basic Science, Faculty of Physical Therapy, Cairo University.
Background: Rigid and kinesio taping is commonly used in the rehabilitation and prevention of subacromial impingement syndrome (SIS). It is proposed to have positive effects on shoulder function and scapular kinematics. However, there is a paucity of literature regarding the effectiveness of rigid versus elastic taping on scapular upward rotation and forward head posture (FHP), which is commonly adopted in SIS.
Purpose: This study was designed to investigate the effect of taping with postural correction on the scapular kinematics and forward head angle (FHA) in patients with SIS when two different taping materials are used: rigid versus a kinesio tape application.
Methods: Eleven female patients with SIS participated in this study. Their age, weight and height ranged from 30 to 60 years, 56 to 90 kg and 155 to 175 cm, respectively. The participants were randomly assigned to Group I (Kinesio tape (KT), n=6) and Group II (Rigid tape (RT), n=5). Thoracic and scapular taping with posture correction was applied to both groups. Scapular upward rotation at 0°, 60°, 90° and 120° and FHA were measured before and immediately after the taping.
Results: Both taping materials significantly increased the scapular upward rotation at 90° and 120° shoulder elevation. Additionally, there was a significant decrease in the FHA in the RT group.
Conclusion: Both tapings are effective in restoring scapular kinematics. The corrective effect of rigid taping on FHA is substantiated.
Key Words: Subacromial Impingement Syndrome, Scapular Kinematics, Posture, Taping.
- Michener LA, McClure PW, Karduna AR. Anatomical and biomechanical mechanisms of subacromial impingement syndrome. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2003;18(5):369-379.
- Koester MC, George MS, Kuhn JE. Shoulder impingement syndrome. Am J Med. 2005;118(5):452-455.
- Lewis JS. Rotator cuff tendinopathy/subacromial impingement syndrome: is it time for a new method of assessment? Br J Sports Med. 2009;43:259-264.
- Neer CS II. Anterior acromioplasty for the chronic impingement syndrome in the shoulder: a preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1972;54(1):41–50.
- Lewis JS, Green AS, Dekel S. The aetiology of subacromial impingement syndrome. Physiotherapy 2001;87(9):458-469.
- Bigliani LU, Levine WN. Subacromial impingement syndrome. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997;79(12):1854-1868.
- Ostor AJ, Richards CA, Prevost AT, Speed CA, Hazleman BL. Diagnosis and relation to general health of shoulder disorders presenting to primary care. Rheumatology 2005;44(6):800-805.
- Kamkar A, Irrgang JJ, Whitney SL. Nonoperative management of secondary shoulder impingement syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1993;17(5):212-24.
- Chipchase LS, O’Connor DA, Costi JJ, Krishnan J. Shoulder impingement syndrome: preoperative health status. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2000;9(1):12-15.
- Seitz AL, McClure PW, Finucane S, Boardman ND 3rd, Michener LA. Mechanisms of rotator cuff tendinopathy: intrinsic, extrinsic, or both? Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2011;26(1):1-12.
- McClure P, Michener L, Karduna A. Shoulder function and 3-dimensional scapular kinematics in people with and without shoulder impingement syndrome. Phys Ther. 2006;86(8):1075-90.
- Ebaugh D, McClure P, Karduna A. Three-dimensional scapulothoracic motion during active and passive arm elevation. Clin Biomech. 2005;20(7):700-9.
- Kibler WB, McMullen J. Scapular dyskinesis and its relation to shoulder pain. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2003;11(2):142-151.
- Kebaetse M, McClure P, Pratt NA. Thoracic position effect on shoulder range of motion, strength, and three dimensional scapular kinematics. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(8):945-50.
- Thigpen CA, Padua DA, Michener LA, et al. Head and shoulder posture affect scapular mechanics and muscle activity in overhead tasks. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010;20(4):701–709.
- Greenfield B, Catlin PA, Coats PW, et al. Posture in patients with shoulder overuse injuries and healthy individuals. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1995;21(5):287–295.
- Solem-Bertoft E. Painful shoulder disorders from a physiotherapeutic view: a review of literature. Critical Reviews in Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine 1999;11:229-277.
- Lewis JS, Green AS, Wright C. Subacromial impingement syndrome: the role of posture and muscle imbalance. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2005;14(4):385-92.
- Skolimowski J, Barczyk K, Dudek K, Skolimowska B, Demczuk-Włodarczyk E, Anwajler J: Posture in people with shoulder impingement syndrome. Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2007;9(5):484-98.
- Gartsman GM. All Arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs.Orthop Clin North Am. 2001;32(3):501-10.
- Bölükbasi S, Güzel VB, Simsek A, Kanatli U, Cila E. Modified and classic acromioplasty for impingement of the shoulder Int Orthop. 2002;26(1):10-2.
- Green S, Buchbinder R, Hetrick S. Physiotherapy interventions for shoulder pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003;2:CD004258.
- Celik D, Atalar AC, Guclu A, Demirhan M. The contribution of subacromial injection to the conservative treatment of impingement syndrome. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2009a;43(4):331-5.
- Ludewig PM, Borstad JD. Effects of a home exercise programme on shoulder pain and functional status in construction workers. Occup Environ Med. 2003;60(11):841-9.
- McClure P, Bialker J, Neff N, Williams G, Karduna A. Shoulder function and 3-dimensional kinematics in people with shoulder impingement syndrome before and after a 6-week exercise program. Phys Ther. 2004;84(9):832–848.
- Dhespeel C. Current Concepts. Rehabilitation of patients with shoulder Impingement and Tight Posterior Capsule. Orthopedic Practice 2004;16(3):9-13.
- Bang MD, Deyle GD. Comparison of supervised exercise with and without manual physical therapy for patients with shoulder impingement syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2000;30(3):126–137.
- Desmeules F, Cote CH, Fremont P. Therapeutic exercise and orthopedic manual therapy for impingement syndrome: A systematic review. Clin J Sport Med. 2003;13(3):176–182.
- Hsu CJ, Wang DY, Tseng KF, Fong YC, Hsu HC, Jim YF. Extracorporeal shock wave therapy for calcifying tendinitis of the shoulder. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008;17(1):55-9.
- Celik D, Atalar AC, Sahinkaya S, Demirhan M. The value of intermittent ultrasound treatment in subacromial impingement syndrome. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2009;43(3):243-7.
- Miller P, Osmotherly P. Does scapula taping facilitate recovery for shoulder impingement symptoms? A pilot randomized controlled trial. J Man Manip Ther. 2009;17(1):E6-E13.
- Kalter J, Apeldoorn AT, Ostelo RW, Henschke N, Knol DL, van Tulder MW. Taping patients with clinical signs of subacromial impingement syndrome: the design of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011;12:188.
- McConnell J. A novel approach to pain relief pre-therapeutic exercise. J Sci Med Sport 2000;3(3):325-334.
- Morrissey D. Proprioceptive shoulder taping. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2000;4(3):189-94.
- Kneeshaw D. Shoulder taping in the clinical setting. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2002;6(1):2-8.
- Smith M, Sparkes V, Busse M, Enright S. Upper and lower trapezius muscle activity in subjects with subacromial impingement symptoms: is there imbalance and can taping change it? Phys Ther Sport 2009;10(2):45-50.
- Shakeri H, Keshavarz R, ArabAM and Ebrahimi I. Therapeutic Effect of Kinesio-taping on Disability of Arm, Shoulder, and Hand in Patients with Subacromial Impingement Syndrome: A Randomized Clinical Trial. J Nov Physiother. 2013;3:4.
- Ackermann B, Adams R, Marshall E. The effect of scapula taping on electromyographic activity and musical performance in professional violinists. Aust J Physiother. 2002;48(3):197-203.
- Kase K, Wallis J. The latest Kinesio taping method Tokyo, Japan, Ski-journal; 2002.
- Kase K, Wallis J, Kase T. Clinical Therapeutic Applications of the Kinesio Taping Method. Tokyo, Japan: Ken Ikai Co Ltd; 2003.
- Briem K, Eythörsdöttir H, Magnúsdóttir RG, Pálmarsson R, Rúnarsdöttir T, Sveinsson T. Effects of kinesio tape compared with nonelastic sports tape and the untaped ankle during a sudden inversion perturbation in male athletes. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011;41(5):328-35.
- Kalron A, Bar-Sela S. A systematic review of the effectiveness of Kinesio Taping--fact or fashion? Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2013;49(5):699-709.
- Kaya E, Zinnuroglu M, Tugcu I. Kinesio taping compared to physical therapy modalities for the treatment of shoulder impingement syndrome. Clin Rheumatol. 2011;30(2):201–207.
- Jaraczewska E, Long C. Kinesio® taping in stroke: Improving functional use of the upper extremity in hemiplegia. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2006;13(3):31-42.
- Şimşek HH, Balki S, Keklik SS, Öztürk H, Elden H. Does Kinesio taping in addition to exercise therapy improve the outcomes in subacromial impingement syndrome? A randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2013;47(2):104-10.
- Lewis JS, Wright C, Green A. Subacromial impingement syndrome: the effect of changing posture on shoulder range of movement. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2005;35(2):72-87.
- Kumar NS, Nehru A, Rajalakshmi D. Effect of taping as a component of conservative treatment for subacromial impingement syndrome. Health 2012;4:237-241.
- Shaheen AF, Bull AM, Alexander CM: Rigid and Elastic taping changes scapular kinematics and pain in subjects with shoulder impingement syndrome; an experimental study. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2015;25(1):84-92.
- Johnson MP, McClure PW, Karduna AR. New method to assess scapular upward rotation in subjects with shoulder pathology J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2001;31(2):81-9.
- Falco C, Landeo R, Menescardi C, Bermejo JL, Estevan I. Match Analysis in a University Taekwondo Championship. Advances in Physical Education 2012;2(1):28–31.
- Guzmán-Valdivia CH, Blanco-Ortega A, Oliver-Salazar MA, Carrera-Escobedo JL. Therapeutic Motion Analysis of Lower Limbs Using Kinovea. International Journal of Soft Computing and Engineering (IJSCE)2013;3(2):359–365.
- Kibler WB, Uhl TL, Maddux JQ, McMullen J, Brooks PV, Zeller B. Qualitative clinical evaluation of scapular dysfunction. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11:550-556.
- Kibler WB. The role of the scapula in athletic shoulder function. Am J Sports Med. 1998;26(2):325-37.
- Bagg SD, Forrest WJ. A biomechanical analysis of scapular rotation during arm abduction in the scapular plane. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 1988;67(6):238-45.
- Blackburn TA, McLeod WD, White B, Wofford L. EMG analysis of posterior rotator cuff exercises. J Athl Train. 1990;25(1):40–45.
- Doody SG, Freedman L, Waterland JC. Shoulder movements during abduction in the scapular plane. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1070;51(10):595–604.
- Freedman L, Munro RR. Abduction of the arm in the scapular plane: scapular and glenohumeral movements: a roentgenographic study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1966;48(8):1503–1510.
- Alexander CM, Stynes S, Thomas A, Lewis J, Harrison PJ. Does tape facilitate or inhibit the lower fibres of trapezius? Manual Therapy 2003;8(1):37-41.
- Cole AK, McGrath ML, Harrington SE, Padua DA, Rucinski TJ, Prentice WE. Scapular bracing and alteration of posture and muscle activity in overhead athletes with poor posture. J Athl Train. 2013;48(1):12-24.
- Host HH. Scapular taping in the treatment of anterior shoulder impingement. Phys Ther. 1995;75(9):803-12.
- Van Herzeele M, van Cingel R, Maenhout A, De Mey K, Cools A. Does the application of kinesiotape change scapular kinematics in healthy female handball players? Int J Sports Med. 2013;34(11):950-5.
- Selkowitz DM, Chaney C, Stuckey SJ, Vlad G. The effects of scapular taping on the surface electromyographic signal amplitude of shoulder girdle muscles during upper extremity elevation in individuals with suspected shoulder impingement syndrome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2007;37(11):694-702.
- Hsu YH, Chen WY, Lin HC, Wang WT, Shih YF. The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome. J Electromyogr Kinesiol.2009;19(6):1092-9.
- Weon JH, Oh JS, Cynn HS, Kim YW, Kwon OY, Yi CH. Influence of forward head posture on scapular upward rotators during isometric shoulder flexion. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010;14(4);367-74.
Eman A. Embaby, Eman M.A. Abdalgwad. RIGID TAPE VERSUS KINESIO TAPE ON SCAPULAR ROTATION AND FORWARD HEAD ANGLE IN SUBACROMIAL IMPINGEMENT SYNDROME. Int J Physiother Res 2016;4(2):1379-1388. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2016.106